Information on the Bells
There were 2 bells in Chiswick Church in 1279, so there has been ringing here for over 700 years. In 1656 Lady Fauconberg, who was the third daughter of Oliver Cromwell, had 6 bells cast by Knight of Reading and installed at St Nicholas. Five of these bells are still here; the 3, 4, 5, 6, & 7 of the present ring. They are quite historic bells as there were not many bells put in during the Commonwealth Period. These bells bear no inscription apart from the bell founder’s name and the date. The tenor (the heaviest bell) was recast in 1869.
In 1900 the Tower was strengthened and repaired. The bells were cleaned and tuned and a new cast iron bell-frame for eight bells was installed. The two smallest bells (the trebles) were installed in 1901 and they are named Victoria and Albert.
Central Council of Church Bellringers
Change Ringing Resources